Rescheduling & Exemption Information

Excuses From Jury Service

You are entitled to be excused as a juror if you:

  • Are over 75 years of age
  • Have legal custody of a child under 10 years of age and jury service would leave the child unsupervised
  • Are a student registered in class.
  • Are an officer or employee of the Texas Senate, House of Representatives or department, commission, board office, or other agency in the legislative branch of government
  • Are the primary caretaker of a person who is unable to care for themselves (an invalid)
  • Are a member of the U.S. military forces on active duty and deployed away from your home station and out of your county of residence
  • Can show a physical or mental impairment or an inability to comprehend or to communicate in English

Claiming Exemptions - Please email [email protected].gov or fax your exemption and support documents to 254-752-1146.

If you wish to claim an exemption, please email our office and attach any documents that would provide support to your claim. You may also circle the exemption that you are claiming, sign the card, and place it in the mail. Once received, this office will follow up with you to provide supporting documentation.

If your exemption is a result of ill health or a physical condition, then you must furnish a doctor’s letter stating that you are unable to serve as a juror. The doctor may fax the letter to the District Clerk’s Office at 254-752-1146. Your name must be stated clearly on the doctor’s letter. Please fill out a Permanent Medical Exemption Request (PDF) to apply.

Disqualifications - at this time please email [email protected]

If you are disqualified from jury duty, you may either email our office and certify that you have been disqualified, or circle the disqualification on the card, sign the card, and place the card in the mail.

Rescheduling - at this time please email [email protected]

If you cannot serve the week that you have been scheduled for jury duty, you are eligible to be rescheduled 1 time within 6 months of the date of your original summons. A new date will be emailed to you. You may obtain a second postponement only in the event of the death of a family member or similar catastrophic event.